Seeing as England are playing Sweden this weekend we thought we’d give you some random Swedish facts!
- One of our most popular stores, Ikea, was founded in Sweden in 1943 by Ingvar Kamprad. Over 1,800,000 meatballs are consumed daily in all of Ikea’s 313 stores worldwide!
- The current three-point seatbelt was invented in Sweden and launched by Volvo in the 1950s. It is claimed to have saved 1 million lives since its invention.
- The pacemaker, ultrasound, safety match, astronomical lens, marine propeller, refrigerator, and computer mouse are just a few that were invented in Sweden or by Swedes.
- Every year since 1901, the Nobel Prizes have been awarded in Stockholm. It is the legacy of Alfred Nobel, who invented dynamite in 1866.
- Sweden has won a grand total of 625.5 Olympics medals. 475.5 are from the Summer Olympics (one gold medal is shared with Denmark, hence the .5), and 150 were won in the Winter Olympics.
- Football, is the most popular sport in Sweden. Close second is ‘innebandy’, which is a sort of floor hockey that’s played indoors.
- One of Sweden’s most famous exports is of course, ABBA. They are the fourth-best selling music act in history after Elvis Presley, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson.
- Sweden has one of the longest life expectancies in the world. 74 years for men and 80 years for women. It also has one of the lowest birth rates.
Everyone is talking about the World Cup, why not get on our chatlines and find other football fans to ‘score’ with!
If a chatline isn’t your thing, why not try our mobile dating?!