Seeing as England are playing Sweden this weekend we thought we’d give you some random Swedish facts!
- One of our most popular stores, Ikea, was founded in Sweden in 1943 by Ingvar Kamprad. Over 1,800,000 meatballs are consumed daily in all of Ikea’s 313 stores worldwide!
- The current three-point seatbelt was invented in Sweden and launched by Volvo in the 1950s. It is claimed to have saved 1 million lives since its invention.
- The pacemaker, ultrasound, safety match, astronomical lens, marine propeller, refrigerator, and computer mouse are just a few that were invented in Sweden or by Swedes.
- Every year since 1901, the Nobel Prizes have been awarded in Stockholm. It is the legacy of Alfred Nobel, who invented dynamite in 1866.
- Sweden has won a grand total of 625.5 Olympics medals. 475.5 are from the Summer Olympics (one gold medal is shared with Denmark, hence the .5), and 150 were won in the Winter Olympics.
- Football, is the most popular sport in Sweden. Close second is ‘innebandy’, which is a sort of floor hockey that’s played indoors.
- One of Sweden’s most famous exports is of course, ABBA. They are the fourth-best selling music act in history after Elvis Presley, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson.
- Sweden has one of the longest life expectancies in the world. 74 years for men and 80 years for women. It also has one of the lowest birth rates.
Everyone is talking about the World Cup, why not get on our chatlines and find other football fans to ‘score’ with!
If a chatline isn’t your thing, why not try our mobile dating?!
1. Royal Pavilion
Visit the Royal Pavilion and and take a tour around it’s expansive hallways, unbelievable dining halls while viewing the grandest pieces of Art from the 1800’s. Once your tour has finished why not grab a bite to eat at the Royal Pavilion Tea Room and take a seat on the balcony overlooking the beautiful Pavilion Gardens.
Check out the Brighton Pier and enjoy a bag of Doughnuts or candy floss whilst checking out some of the many rides that it has to offer. If your an extreme thrill seeker then check out some of the roller coasters and brace yourselves for the outstanding views from the tops of the rides, however if rides aren’t your thing then why not get involved in the side stool games and win your date a cuddly toy!
3. Krater Comedy Club at the Komedia
This event only runs from Thursday to Sunday but does offer a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere on which to go on a date. The event invites some of the most talented comedians from around the world to come and perform. Just make sure that you don’t sit in the front row!
4. Brighton Wheel & Sea Life Center
If you are an animal lover why not check out The Sea Life Center and experience one of Brighton’s most popular tourist attractions. If you want to take your dates breathe away then take her on the Brighton Wheel and experience some of the most breathtaking view over the sea and rooftops of Brighton!
5. The Beach
Take your date on a romantic stroll along the promenade and check out some of the wonderful cafes overlooking the sea.Or you could just grab a couple of deck chairs and sit on the beach whilst sipping on a glass of wine, what could be more romantic than that!